Becoming a Provisional Licensed Professional Counselor
Recommended Steps for Becoming a Registered Provisional Licensed professional Counselor:
- Graduate from your Master’s degree program in Counseling
- Research potential sites and supervisors. Try to find a site and a supervisor that match your interests and will allow you to pursue training and experience working with the type of client population you envision yourself continuing to work with once you’re licensed. If you’re unsure of a niche to pursue, no problem! Choose a client population that you are interested in and start there. Keep in mind that it is okay to have more than one clinical site for accruing hours.
- Complete your Provisional Licensed Professional Counselor application packet, which is available online through the Licensed Professional Counselors Board of Examiners website at: http://www.lpcboard.org/LPC%20registration_of_supervisors_for_CI.htm
- Please note that you will not be eligible to begin accruing hours toward licensure until all sections of your registration packet are completed, submitted, and approved by the LPC Board of Examiners. If you have any questions, please call the LPC Board at (225) 765-2515.
A Few More Quick Tips…
- Join the PLCA division of LCA to connect with other Provisional Licensed Professional Counselors, meet LPC Supervisors, and to learn about Provisional Licensed Professional Counselor employment opportunities across the state of Louisiana. To join the PLCA division, or to learn more about the PLCA division, e-mail Diane Austin at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research LPC Supervisors by their clinical specialties through the LPC Board at: http://www.lpcboard.org/search_all.php?search_option=3 or at this site under Find a Supervisor http://www.lacounseling.org/assnfe/searchmembers.asp?TYPE=LCA_S
- Narrow down your LPC Supervisors by taking the time to touch base with each over the phone. Schedule in-person interviews for your top selection of potential supervisors and choose the supervisor you think will be the best fit for you and your training interests and needs.
- The LPC Board website www.lpcboard.org has a FAQ sheet for Provisional Licensed Professional Counselors. One of the items on this sheets is a sample of a Declaration Statement http://www.lpcboard.org/Counselor%20Intern%20FAQs.pdf