Hints For Advocacy
Click here for LPC White Paper
Counselors Make Great Advocates
- They are committed to positive change.
- they are good listeners.
- They have good people skills and related well to others.
- They acre about people.
- They are friendly.
Rules for Effective Advocacy
- Be specific about what you want your legislator to do.
- Be polite.
- Keep your communication brief and focused on on issue.
- Build and preserve your credibility.
- Don't write or type anything you would not be comfortable with other seeing or distributing.
- Always include your postal address so that your legislator knows you are a constituent.
- Refer to legislation by its bill number or title.
- Be persistent and follow up
Ways of Being an Advocate
- Phone calls
- Campaign volunteer
- Contribute money
- Attend legislative training
- Invite the legislator to speak
- Write a letter to the local paper
- Run for office
- Put out yard sign
- Get a Bumper sticker